Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Stuff I found that works for me

Today, I am writing about what I have found that works for me.
Some things I found out on my own, some things I found through research, some things were recommended to me. All of it may, or may not, work for you.

Vitamins/pills
(all my supplements are from health food stores unless otherwise noted)
Daily multi
Omega 3, 6, 9 combo
cal-mag with D (I'm D deficient, as well as mineral deficient)
Potassium (I retain water)
Aller-Max from Country Life-helps with seasonal allergies
Zyflamend-this is an herb combo for joint function and circulation
Liver detox herbs (I have an over-taxed liver-maybe from 12 years of Ibuprofen?)
Magnesium Malate-read why the malate form is best, here

Pharmaceuticals
Cymbalta-30 mg
In addition to fibromyalgia, I have some depression and anxiety (who wouldn't, with all this pain, right?) Cymbalta is a SNRI, and helps to even me out. Also, it helps block much of my pain, at least the daily stuff. I know many of you have seen the commercials, and I had some of the yuckier symptoms the first couple weeks. I stuck it out, and many went away.  I was left with some excessive yawning, constant thirst (so I carry water and drink a lot, which is good anyway) and decreased appetite (can I get a double dose!!!). All in all, the irritations are minor. 

Foods I avoid
I did an elimination diet, and removed dairy and gluten from my diet. Both caused severe flare-ups for me. Dairy was not as bad as gluten, the gluten flare-up lasted for 5 days.  No thank you. Also, after dairy caused pain for me, I Googled "Dairy and joint pain", it was like I hit the lottery-TONS of references on Google scholar too.
Nitrates/nitrites
MSG-many of the artificial junk in food is associated with joint problems, or can exacerbate pain, so I have cleaned up my diet accordingly.

Foods I have added
Green tea-lots of research about green tea helping with the sleep/wake cycle, raising dopamine levels, and reducing tremors-all things us fibros can have in spades
Organics-I first switched to organic on the stuff they say is the most important-strawberries, celery, etc. Then, slowly, many other items. I would venture to say that over half of the food in my home is now organic.  I got to the point that I didn't want to expose myself to any more crap if I could help it.

Life changes
I do less.  This, truly, was the hardest.  And, I have a very amazing husband, and wonderful staff, that constantly check with me.
I am starting to meditate-I will keep you posted
I have worked on my breathing-yoga breaths, Princess calls them. In deeply through the nose, exhale through the mouth.  The slower, the better.  This breathing helped me through my 4 shots in my head last week when I needed stitches.
Yoga-this covers the relaxation, as well as the exercise part. Exercise is VERY IMPORTANT. I know, I know, it hurts.  Start slow.  5 minute walks soon become 10 minute walks. Do what YOU can.
Other exercise-I do weight training, treadmill, and elliptical. I change it up, and it's helping with weight loss as well as energy
Weight Loss-since diagnosis, I have lost 24 pounds (4 months' time).  I have always been a Weight Watcher (okay, off and on, mostly off, but I GET the program, and like it). This is helping with the support aspect too. Much of what the meetings say, my therapist reiterates. But for less.
Acupuncture-I have GREAT insurance. I am VERY lucky.  I get acupuncture for a co-pay. And, my acupuncturist is holistic, works on everything I have going on.
Therapy-this was the one area my doctors all insisted upon. Once I got over feeling crappy for their vehemence that I needed a therapist, I found a great one, who is big into mindfulness, and is helping me to slow down, and get used to my new situations as they arise.
I work less-this may not be an option, but keep looking, try to find a way to reduce some of what you do-just keep the things that bring you the most joy

I will end for now-I hope this gave a few people something new to try, or discuss with your physician.

No comments:

Post a Comment