Thursday, June 2, 2011

Vegan, GF Peanut Butter Cups. I'm Serious!

My mother gave me the original recipe for these amazing peanut butter cups. She clipped it from a newspaper, and brought it to me.

Alicia Silverstone (Vegan) made them originally, and I made them her way the first time, subbing only the margarine for a brand I prefer, and the graham crackers (I used the S-moreables).

Here is the link for the original recipe:

LINK

The second time, I made them a little different, trying to tone down the goo factor, and the hip expansion feature. They were equally good, and I have a few more tips.

  • USE the liners. You cannot extract them from the muffin tin without mangling them all to hell. Yes, I'm sure. No, cooking spray won't help.
  • Reduce the margarine to just enough to moisten the crumbs, about 2 tbls. You can probably get away with even less.
  • Reduce the sweetener to 2 tbls, I used agave syrup, which has a tang I normally don't like much, but it worked, because the original recipe is a bit too sweet (and I NEVER say that about dessert)
  • I reduced the milk, so the chocolate would set more, which it did.
  • I left off the nuts from the top, and everyone loved them the same!
Peanut butter and chocolate is something of an obsession of mine-ever since Haagan Dazs came out with Deep Chocolate Peanut Butter ice cream (why, oh why did you discontinue this, Haagan Dazs? Did I not buy enough????). If it is yours, too, and you need to indulge, justify it by saying something about antioxidants, protein, endorphins. Or all three.

Or, make them, hide them, and devour them in a corner while growling. I do. But use the smooth peanut butter, so you don't choke. Safety first!

No comments:

Post a Comment