Thursday, August 25, 2011

Motherly Advice

Think back to when you were a child, and your mom would give important advice that you should follow, like;

Don't touch the stove, it will burn you
Eat your vegetables
You'll shoot your eye out
Never burn bridges
Stop that or you'll go blind
No one likes a tattle tale
Look before you leap
Measure twice, cut once

...and my personal favorite,
If you don't stop that, we will sell you to the gypsies.

(Which, incidentally, made me incredibly fearful of gypsies-I pretty much imagined going to live with Jasmine from Aladdin, but she was much meaner. And made me do tricks, like in the circus. Now, i have seen My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding, and I'm not sure I wouldn't have fared better with that group, but that's for another post.)

Well, let's add one to the list....

Even if you don't want to, don't feel like it, can't fathom any fiber of your being complying, EXERCISE. 

I know, I know.  I HATE exercise.  Who likes it? Sick people, that's who.  People that think of nothing more than shiny coins hanging around their necks. People that LIKE bicycle shorts.  I even saw a guy on My Strange Addiction, who was addicted to a bicycle and stationary bike, and it was KILLING HIM.  See?  Crazy people like to exercise. (Or, maybe I need to change my viewing habits...)

But, that does not mean you can't get something out of it.

I started with walks around the block with Sky King.  This sssssllllllloooooowwwwwwwwlllllllllyyyyyyyyy graduated to me going to the gym with him and walking on the treadmill, while he worked with some lunatics and a lunatic trainer.  Then, I would pop in to yoga or Zumba once in a while. 

Yoga, incidentally, has been a-freaking-mazing!  It incorporates the whole mind-body thing, which is great for us spoonies, because being mindful of our bodies will help protect us better.

Now, I have my phone alarmed to remind me to go to yoga 3 times a week---I usually make 2 of them. And.  I forked over money---cash money, people---to join the lunatics!  The trainer works with other pathetic people like me with tons of limitations, and she has tweaked our workout 2 times a week to include me.  No, I don't like it---well, I like the chatting we do between reps----I get sweaty, I work hard, things ache later.  But, I'm doing it, and even if it doesn't mean I am going to win a triathlon, I feel like I am making a positive step in improving my overall health.  Which makes me feel just a teensy bit in control. 

That, and the 25 pounds gone-I'll take it!


No comments:

Post a Comment