Thursday, December 15, 2011

Gluten-Free Congo Bars

This is a serious post.  Seriously yummy!  There is a recipe I have in a cookbook that is called Congo Bars.  The cookbook is just cookies, cakes and other desserts, so it has always been a favorite, along with my mom's Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, complete with burnt range rings on the back. Here is the original recipe:

·  1/4 Cup Butter
·  1 1/2 Cup Graham Cracker Crumbs
·  1 Can Unsweetened Condensed Milk, Eagle Brand
·  6 Cup Chocolate Chips
·  1 Cup Flaked Coconut
·  1/2 Cup Sliced Almonds



Since I can't have anything good or yummy EVER, I had to make modifications.  First, I use Nucoa Margarine sticks. Some people like the Earth Balance buttery sticks, but I think they taste funky.  You have to make sure it's the Nucoa with no dairy in it. It's also in foil, so you have to TAKE IT OUT OF THE PACKAGE BEFORE YOU NUKE IT.  Trust me.  On the positive side, Princess and I were both pretty amazed/scared shitless, so I don't think she will make that mistake independently. Glass half-full, people. 

Line a 13x9 pan with foil. The foil should go up the sides, so you can lift the bars out and cut them easily. Melt the butter/margarine of death in a 350 degree oven.  (I don't know how to type a degree symbol, do you?) Then, take the graham cracker crumbs (Or, Kinnikinnick Graham Style Crumbs) and mix them into the melted butter.  Then, pour the condensed milk over the entire mess.  I know, I can't have condensed milk.  And you have never seen sweetened condensed soy milk.  So, you go to the handy dandy website, andloveittoo.com and search for vegan sweetened condensed milk.  Make that, a few days ago.  Sorry, I should have said that before.  And, you will have extra, so you will need another recipe using sweetened condensed milk. I will get back to you on that one.  So put your fake sweetened condensed milk on there, smooth it around. Then, the chocolate chips. It says just a cup, but really? 1 cup?  I don't think so.  I use almost 2 cups. And I use the Guittard semi-sweet, which has no milk fat in them. Then, sprinkle on the coconut-once again, don't be shy. Finally, the nuts. I have used pecans, walnuts and no nuts.  Whatever you want.  Throw it all back into the oven, bake about 25-30 minutes, until coconut is browned.  And take a look at how awesome they look!  They are Monkey Boy's favorite.


Have a great weekend!

(Mom-did you notice I did that post with almost no bad words?)

No comments:

Post a Comment