Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Soul of a Rainbow

Can I just share, for a brief moment, how amazing my little Princess is?  Of course I can. This is MY blog. You want to whine about how amazing the little hellions YOU brought into this world? Getcher own blog.

Princess was reading "The Night Before St. Patrick's Day" aloud for homework.  She has a whopping 15 or so minutes of homework (thank you, Montessori charter school).  Still, it's amazingly difficult to get the homework done.  I dunno, maybe she is channeling Monkey Boy, who manages to drag 1 hour of homework (No, thank you, Montessori charter school) into 5 hours of nagging, which results in half the homework being completed, and of that, half of which will never see a teacher's desk. SMH.

Anywho, Princess was reading.  And after, she remarked that we better not set any traps for the leprechauns, because they will totally trash our house-the statement was said with the brevity of a believer. She was quite serious when she was explaining the havoc we will encounter if we should attempt to trap one. She also believes in the tooth fairy, Santa, ghosts, guardian angels, Mother Nature (as a being), the Easter Bunny, and any other mythical thing you can think of.  And her belief is fierce. I figure we have a good 5 years left-I'm hoping she doesn't end up completely psychotic when she finds out-truly, it could completely upend her world.  Because her world is made up of rainbows, glitter and unicorns, and smells like cotton candy.

On the other hand, we have Monkey Boy making inappropriate remarks about rimjobs and using the term appropriately (No, thank you, Urban Dictionary) and then we have Princess.  She is young: a couple months shy of 8.  But I know 8 year olds that talk worse than me, and have a world view that would knock your socks off. 

Not Princess.  I used to say she was a "young 6" but then she turned 7, and saying she's a young 6 sounds like I'm trying to say she is dumb as a post, which is not the case.  So, I have decided that she has the soul of a rainbow.  She has such a carefree spirit-I have never met a child like that before. 

She is incredibly smart (I'm her mom, of COURSE she's smart-but she really is!)-she spends countless hours (countless, it's almost constant) creating jokes that are plays on words.  They used to be more along the lines of, "knock, knock", "who's there", "pizzaface!!!" But now they actually make sense, and are sometimes even funny:

Princess: Why did the clipboard leave the cubby?  Because it had to go to a BOARD meeting!

Princess: What do you call a triceratops that puts bad guys in jail? A triceraCOP

Princess: What did the teddy bear say after dinner? I'm stuffed.

Truly, she does this all the time.  Even when she's in her room, alone, and I can hear her cracking herself up.

Another thing she does is create crafts from garbage.  She will create an amazing structure out of a sock, a toilet paper tube, the fluff off the end of 75 cotton swabs, and some ribbon.  Then she will name it, give it a personality, and cart it around for a week, until we throw it away when she sleeps, because we are sick of her dragging it around, making us refer to it as Aunt Martha.

She collects critters, naming each one.  And she cries real tears when they die.  Which they always do, because she puts them in airtight containers-she nearly destroyed an entire ecosystem of frogs once, and had heartfelt burials for every little crispy froggy body. Her tender heart knows no limits.

She spends tons of time doing funny things-I have even caught her practicing funny faces in the mirror.

Why am I telling you all this?  Today I had a pity party, which ended in my therapist's office while I cried my eyes out. It had been a long time coming, and I am pretty sure it will be happening quite a bit in the coming months.  But.  But, sometimes you just need a laugh. You need to sit back and revel in the wonderment in your life.  My wonderment comes in the form of a 7 year old girl. So the next time you have a bad day and just need to sob until you are dehydrated, do so. Tears are important.  Then pull up your big-girl panties (or big-boy panties) and remember that there are little girls running around, armed with the souls of rainbows, working on their very best faces just for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment